An eclectic collection of things I'm learning, things that interest me, things I am doing,

and pictures of adorable little girls that are teaching me so much.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 16 - Your views on mainstream music.

It seems the most important quality for mainstream music today is how "catchy" it is. To me that means boring. The musicality of a "catchy" song is a predictable baseline consisting of the three related melodic chords, a repetitive melody, and a harmony line so simple that I could hum it the first time ever hearing the song. If your goal is selling CDs then the smart thing to do is to compose what sells. If your goal is good music then you probably won't sell as much as the catchy stuff because it won't appeal to the widest audience.

Personally, I choose to listen to music that is more complex. Something with many layers and maybe a story. Soundtracks and classical music are my favorites.

What about you?

No comments: