An eclectic collection of things I'm learning, things that interest me, things I am doing,

and pictures of adorable little girls that are teaching me so much.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 14 - Your earliest memory.

Oops. Behind again. It seems I don't get a chance to blog much on the weekends. Hmm, fancy that.

There are a few different memories that compete for the "earliest" spot. Truthfully, I'm not sure which it is. There is one where I'm in the crib and calling for mom. There is another where a guy at our church was dressed up as a clown and entertained us little kids. There are also the latent memories of getting my childhood vaccinations. I had three different vaccination visits and I can tell you the details of each one. That's how traumatic they were. That, and I had recurrent nightmares about them for 10 years.

Come the age of 16 when I was a short-term nanny and I went with the child's family to the doctor's office. Cue the X-files music. I actually had to sit down because my head got all light and it was hard to breathe. I knew the place, but I didn't know how. It took a few minutes of really sifting through memories before I placed it. It wasn't really the office I was remembering so much as remembering the details of my nightmares. I would watch the fish for a while before being escorted to the last room on the right. The nurse would give me a sweet smile then come at me with a syringe at which point I would freak out and run from the room, but I could only run about 10 feet because I wasn't tall enough to reach the handle for the door that led to the waiting room. My mom and the nurse would retrieve me at which point the dream would reset and I'd relive it several times a night.

Once again that doc is my doc and I deal with flashbacks every time I enter his office or walk through the door leading to the rooms. It's a good thing he's phenomenal or I probably wouldn't have gone back.

No comments: