Surprise! I woke up from a nap Thursday afternoon to the sound of suitcases being unloaded onto my front porch! Boy, I am glad I keep the house relatively clean at all times. I just needed to sweep the room they planned to stay in and we began chatting. Apparently three different people forgot to inform me I would have visitors this week. I cannot say I am exactly “hosting” them considering they have been here about ten times each! Their names are Inge and Leslie and they are from Ohio. They made the trip at this time specifically to be here for the girls’ graduation on Friday. During the week they plan on following up with some work they have done with the local kids and continuing to build foundations for future ministries with the various groups sent from their church. They tell me that they have not yet seen a tarantula in the area (though the girls killed one in their kitchen only a few days ago) but they have killed a scorpion in our house. They also tell me that the giant millipede that I have a picture of on my Yahoo album is poisonous. Hmm… I wish I knew that before I played with it (just kidding!).
I had the opportunity to instrumentar (be the "scrub nurse", the person handing the instruments to the surgeons) for a laparoscopic cholysystectomy (gallbladder removal) on Friday morning. A lap choly has very few instruments and low risk compared to other procedures and it is so common that I have seen several by now. It was a great experience! It was a lot of fun rehearsing the names of each of the instruments before and during surgery and trying to anticipate the doctors’ every move at the same time. Claudia, who has had a lot of experience in that role, scrubbed with me, prepared the tables, and helped me at every step. Knowing the exact order of which sterile packages to open and how to set up the tables definitely seems more difficult. Less stressful than working with the doctors, but more difficult. I do not think I will get the opportunity again unless we are short-staffed because now the first year students are supposed to learning that role.
This weekend has been very quiet though it could have proven quite hectic. Dr. Federico had several responsibilities outside the clinic this weekend leaving me as the primary medical personnel! Yikes! Should any emergency arrive while he was out of town it was my job to stabilize the patient before sending them to the hospital in Valladolid. Fortunately (and unfortunately) that was never needed.
Speaking of the hospital in Valladolid… I will be working there tomorrow! I leave here at 6:30 am. to arrive at the hospital before 8:30. I will be given a grand tour and hopefully Dr. Solis or the general director will have some suggestions or plans on what I can do for the day. Dr. Federico says that I could ask to shadow or work in just about any area of the hospital. If that is true, emergency department here I come!! He also tells me that if I wish to work there other days I can even make plans to stay in Valladolid overnight to continue working in the hospital on consecutive days.
There are still a lot of uncertainties about tomorrow such as what exactly they mean by “working” in the hospital. I have not yet graduated and I have no credentials in Mexico. An obvious “no-no” in the US but who knows what is permissible here! The most important thing is the general director has approved my visit and whatever it is they have planned for me at the hospital. Traveling to and from Valladolid seems easy enough but I really do not know what I will be doing in the hospital.
Yay for adventures!
Prayer:
My safe and productive trip to the hospital in Valladolid. It is a touristy town so I should feel a bit more comfortable (less staring!) but that also increases the risk of thieves.
For my ministry with the girls. A major issue just came up tonight with one of the girls that will require a LOT of wisdom to handle both as an authority and as an advocate between the girls and my authorities. I have not spoken with her about it yet so that I have a day or two to formulate what I need to say and how to handle it.
No comments:
Post a Comment