Over the last couple of days I have found myself with more time on my hands than I expected, thus, the lack of journaling. Apparently, the workload in the clinic has been close to nothing compared to the usual. Dr. Frederico attributes this to the graduation season coming up. People do not wish to have extra expenses like doctor visits or operations around the end of the school year because of the traditional fiestas and gifts for the graduates. In addition to that, the girls have finals this week so our teaching sessions have all been postponed until afterward. Therefore, I am left with abundant study time and observing whatever consults happen throughout the day. The only part of my schedule that contains any markings is Wednesday morning at 0600. Dr. Frederico has a C-section scheduled for that time unless the woman comes in earlier due to complications.
In other words, I do not have much news to give you. Whether that is positive or negative, I am not sure.
One thing in particular that has been occupying a lot of my prayer and meditation time in the last couple of days is the issue of my responsibilities with the girls. As I have mentioned previously (I think), five of eleven girls were expelled last month due to various reasons including entertaining boys in the middle of the night. Part of my responsibilities with the girls is to keep an eye on them and keep them accountable. This leaves me in somewhat of a pickle. Suppose I find out during my abundant time with the girls any issues about them which are grounds for expulsion. Do I immediately bring it to Dr. Estrella and or nurse Femia as my authorities and lose all trust with the girls? Do I try and bring it up one-on-one and try to work it out with the girl in question and risk losing trust with my authorities? Something in between? On the other extreme, how do I deal with the constant breaking of certain minor rules which the girls argue, and I agree, are overbearing and unnecessary? As one more prone to gentle training than authoritarianism, especially in regards to young women my age, where is the balance in exhortation and staying under my own authorities who believe in ruling with a strong fist (notice I did not use the expression “iron fist”) and demonstrating proper obedience?
(WARNING: Theological contemplation ahead!) Throughout the book of John the emphasis is on God’s love for us and his desire to reconcile us to himself. Numerous times Jesus uses the illustration of the New Covenant versus the Old Covenant whereby we are judged by grace and not by law. I have always felt the Holy Spirit leading me to impress upon the girls obedience in response to His love that we see so effectively narrated by the apostle John. Determining how, exactly, to do the same with our human and fallible authorities seems to prove more difficult. Perhaps that is where Romans 13 comes into play.
(Note: the following is not an exegetical essay. It is not an exhaustive study. It is not a recommendation. It is not even my final determination for application with this immediate issue. It is simply the chronicling and organizing of my thoughts into something sensible for future reflection.)
Some may argue that the commands of submission to the authorities in Romans chapter 13 only relates to evil authorities, as in the time of the Caesars when Paul wrote the letter to the Romans. Quite obviously, Paul makes a blanket statement which must also include Christian authorities: “…there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God (v. 1).” Not only does he make a blanket statement, he states it twice to make sure we get the point! So, why does God put someone in authority? “For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer (v. 4).” What is more, we are to submit to our authorities not just because of possible punishment, but because of conscience (v. 5). Therefore, if our authority is God’s servant, then by obeying our authority, we are obeying God and keeping our conscience clean.
Another section that deals with authority is 1 Peter 2:13-3:7. Again, we find a blanket statement about obeying all levels of authority. Why? Because “…it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God (v. 15-16).” Continuing on in the chapter we find the application to servants and masters. (I think this section will make a good point should the girls argue that they don’t have to obey the small and overbearing rules ;) ) We are to submit to all types of masters, even the harsh (and overbearing) ones. Why? “For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God…but if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God (v. 19, 20b).” I must clarify that I do not believe these girls are experiencing the “pain of unjust suffering.” There is authoritarianism and overbearing rules at times, but not always, and all of them have an appropriate rationale. Some of the rules simply are abundantly strict. The master and servant application can be useful in demonstrating to the girls that even under worse conditions we are commanded to submit to our authorities and do good in the eyes of our authorities for the sake of our conscience.
Now that I have organized on paper some of the rationale for bringing this issue up with the girls I must determine how (and when) to implement it while staying under my authorities and showing a good example. Ahhhhh… sounds like there is to be more theological contemplation ahead!
Prayer:
For wisdom regarding this and future related issues.
For God to prepare the hearts of the girls for confrontation.
No comments:
Post a Comment