An eclectic collection of things I'm learning, things that interest me, things I am doing,

and pictures of adorable little girls that are teaching me so much.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Hello from Merida! ~Journal 1~

Buenos dias!
The trip went very well, all things considered. I arrived in Merida last night at 10:30 pm and had no trouble finding my hosts. I am staying at the house of pastor Pablo Estrella in downtown Merida. He is son of the doctor who runs the clinic in Xocempich. Today his wife is giving me a tour of Merida and we will keep doing tourist type things for the next couple of days before going to Xocempich (hopefully the ruins and the impact craters, too!). I believe they planned that for two reasons: to prevent culture shock, and also to give me a general overview of the location and culture before working one-on-one with the people in the clinic. They are so considerate and understanding!
According to a comment made by pastor Pablo my role in the clinic will mostly revolve around working with the nurse´s aid students and doing one-on-one evangelism with those who come to the clinic. Other than that, I still don´t have many specifics.
I am told that the clinic has internet access that is relatively reliable, so I am sure I will be sending messages rather regularly. Right now I am using a paid internet service in Merida. That seems to be the norm in large cities outside the US.
The weather here is HUMID!! I do not consider it extremely hot, but the humidity makes you feel like a sauna, even when you are sleeping. Last night was the first night I have slept the entire night without any covers.
I´m so glad I brought my Oil of Oregano! (shameless plug ;-) ) The mosquitos here are very small and they make only small welts, but my skin turns very red and very itchy... that is, until I put on some of the oil. I would definitely have a hard time acclimating if I didn´t have my trusty mosquito medicine.
Well, off to see more buildings and paintings!
Dios les bendiga! (God bless you)

Senorita Elizabeth

No comments: