So last week was hecka hard because my brother and I worked practically full time trying to finish the siding on the other house before the appraiser came on Friday. We were up on the roof or on scaffolding the entire week with all the hot weather we have been having. It was FREAKIN' HOT! We got there at about 9, took long breaks from about 12:00-1:30 so we wouldn't be on the roof during the hottest part of the day, and got home at 5 or 6 every day. I haven't sweatted that much since Sophomore year when I had a volleyball coach who was like a drill instructor. Anyway, I got through the week pretty well though I had a hard time dealing with my "supervisor"
Neil knows how to do pretty much everything. He's had just about every job under the sun. But when he has to organize and multitask he is very illogical and inefficient. By Friday morning when he told me to move a pile of scrap wood for the second time that day (not including the unnecessary move the day before) I couldn't take any more. I called my mom on the phone and pretty much just complained to her and bawled. Yeah, it sounds kindof stupid but I was under a lot of stress trying to get this job done as well as prepare myself mentally, emotionally, and spiritually for ministering to seniors the next week. We got that worked out and I had a good talk with my dad afterwards about how to handle situations and what to learn from this experience.
So, Union Gospel Mission Senior's Camp.... It was great! (UGM takes low-income seniors to a 3 day camp each year and my church has supplied the volunteers for the last 10 years. Attendance usually averages around 50-60 seniors with about 10 Spanish speakers. This year we had 45 English speakers and 16 Spanish speakers. The most Spanish speakers in camp history!) This is the fourth year I have volunteered there and this was definately the best year of all. Each year I have been the head interpreter (I was the only person in the group who knew ANY Spanish my first year) but this year I was there only as full time interpreter. That means I didn't have to lead a group of seniors as well as interpret during the devotionals. It was great. During the craft and game times I just had to interpret the instructions and rules and then I could relax while their team leaders took it from there. I then stood and interpreted for a half an hour at a time while the team leaders got a break. It worked out so well. I arranged with Angela, the coordinator from our church group, a nap time on the second day and let her know the problems I have been having with energy recently and she really respected that and didn't ask me to do more things than I could do (I have a hard time saying no).
I was also concerned going into the camp because I hadn't had time... or taken the time... to prepare myself for serving in camp because of working at the other house and plans for people to come over to my house from Aug. 5-7. Pretty much all I got in before starting ministry was "Lord, please correct any problems with my attitude, help me to be a good witness to the seniors, that I interpret well, and you would be glorified". It's amazing how the Lord works through broken pots. Though I was pretty tired during those days it never hindered my ministry or witness. I give the Lord all the praise and honor for the work and service he enabled me to do.
I really have to go to bed now because I have some things to do before people start arriving here tomorrow... otherwise I would tell you the story of Squatty and the friendship song. Let's just say, the song didn't go as planned but it was definately hilarious! I'm glad it got on tape. It was even funnier to watch it than be in it.... well, to bed.
Lata!
1 comment:
Hey, thanks for the post!
I think God likes to use us broken pots best. Hope you've rested up!
Can't wait to hear about this last weekend!
(*cough* Squatty and the friendship song???) ;P
Post a Comment