An eclectic collection of things I'm learning, things that interest me, things I am doing,

and pictures of adorable little girls that are teaching me so much.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Life Update and Future Plans

First on the docket, I did my second backpacking trip this weekend with Tim, Keisha, Mike, and Chris, and, guess what? No one got lost, I didn't have to climb down the mountain in the middle of the night to call search and rescue, I didn't sleep in the back of a car with Tim (no, not like that) and get woken up by a helicopter 2 hours later, nor did I (an many others) have to endure the anguish of knowing that a friend was lost in the mountains. On the other hand, we hiked up in the fog, hiked above the clouds to some AMAZING views of surrounding mountaintops, met some mountain goats, woke up in the morning to 40 feet of visibility (no, I'm not kidding), hiked all the way down in the rain, and ended up with both deep and superficial blisters on each big toe. No, I don't regret it. Yes, I will probably go again... at least, when the weather is supposed to be nicer. ;) I must be a glutton for punishment. I think the alternative term for that is free-spirit. Yeah, I'll take that one. BTW, you can see several of the shots that Mike took on the way up if you look for photos I'm tagged in. We have a couple of shots on Keisha's camera of the low visibility in the morning but no pictures from the hike down because it was raining the whole time.

Second, some of you have heard by now that as of this afternoon I have officially graduated from the Buntain School of Nursing at Northwest University! [cue cheering and stuff] This, four months of work and stress, $500, numerous phone calls, misplaced important paperwork, and two sibling engagements later than the rest of my class. Why is it that so often I begin things early but usually find myself so mired in technicalities and bureaucracy that I finish things later then my peers? Is that my lot in life?
Anyway, the next step is for my graduation status to be sent from the School of Nursing to the state, the state to approve me to take the NCLEX (state nursing boards), send me my ATT (Authorization To Test), me to schedule the test, take the test, and receive my POSITIVE results before Oct. 1 so I can start working at Valley Medical Center. Phew! Hmm... that's one business week and two days from now. That deadline doesn't seem physically possible, yet if God wills for me to be ready by then, then who am I to say that it is impossible? So I am continuing to study hard as if I will be taking the test in the next week. Yet... I don't know if it will be that soon... STRESSFUL!!!
Why is my life so consistently lived in the last minute? Is there some dramatically important life lesson that I'm not getting? Am I simply doomed for existence on the edge of impossibility for the rest of my life... so its important to get several of these occurrences out of the way as early as possible...? GAH!
Again I find myself praying like I did when the Lord first called me to become a nurse. Numerous roadblocks stood in my way so my prayer for several months was "Lord, if you really want me to be a nurse then you're going to have to make [this] happen because I can't see how else it would work." As you can probably guess, he miraculously worked it all out. I went to nursing school, survived nursing school (quite literally), and now I've graduated from nursing school. But I still have to get my license. Well... I won't lose my job if I'm not ready to work on Oct. 1 but it would (at least, I think it would) be very disruptive to my plans to not be available to work until the next nursing orientation in November.
Probably the most frustrating thing at this point is that the vast majority of my peers from nursing school already have their jobs and have finished their internships while everyone else (that I know of) has at least taken the NCLEX. I feel so inadequate. Gosh darnit! I graduated with good grades! I always tested in the top third or quarter of my class! Yet I simply have to wait for God's timing to have the fulfillment of finally doing what he has been preparing me to do for the last six-eight years.

On top of all that I'm going to be incredibly busy for the next three-four weeks with things like weddings (3 of them), numerous birthday parties, potentially taking the NCLEX and other random things that are required to make my life continue its rotations around the sun. I'm so busy that I won't be able to celebrate my birthday until two weeks late! So, if anyone is interested, I'm available on Oct. 20th to celebrate my birthday which is coming up on Oct 4th. I don't have anything planned yet, but maybe you should bug Tim since he was just challenged by a mutual friend to plan something for me.

That's all for now just because my fingers are tired.

No comments: